Many adults have not had a hearing test since grade school and may not even remember the experience. Today’s hearing test examinations are thorough and thoughtful, designed to identify and diagnose even mild hearing loss.
After gathering a health history, the hearing specialist will conduct an ear exam with an otoscope to check for obstructions, infections or other medical conditions that might affect hearing.
If there is no medical reason for hearing loss, the hearing test specialist will perform a series of tests, including an audiogram, to discover the cause of any hearing problem.
Hearing Test Questions
For those who have not experienced difficulty hearing in the past, or been examined for hearing problems, it can be difficult to know what to ask during and after a hearing test and evaluation. The following list of questions may be helpful in gathering information and getting clear answers from an audiologist or hearing specialist.
- What kind of hearing loss do I have?
- Is it medically treatable?
- Should I see a medical specialist for my condition?
- What are the results of my hearing tests? What’s my hearing threshold?
- Are there specific frequencies or types of sound I have more trouble with than others? View how to read an audiogram.
- Will I receive a copy of my audiogram and other test results?
- What are my treatment options?
- Is there anything I can do on my own to hear better?
- Can I prevent further hearing loss?
- Will you help explain the audiogram?
Hearing Test and Hearing Loss
Hearing loss can be prevented by wearing hearing protection that is appropriate for the noise level or activity. Some common causes of hearing loss are listening to music with earphones or earbuds at a high volume level, attending rock concerts, hunting or target shooting, and workplace noise.
We encourage everyone to be alert to any signs of hearing loss in themselves or loved ones, and take the necessary steps to avoid further loss in the future. To make an appointment for yourself or a loved one visit our Contact Us page and enter your information. We will be in touch to schedule an appointment with in one business day.